Friday, November 21, 2008
who would you save? (revisited)
I originally posted the majority of this post on my myspace some time ago. I thought it sparked enough interest and debate that it was worth revisiting.
My wife and I were having this discussion some time ago...I asked her the following question: If you had the chance to either save me or our firstborn child, which would you save? It was intriguing to me because our answers were different, though not shocking. She said she would save the child because her bond to her own child would be so strong it would be instinctual. (For the record, I would want her to save the child over me.) I said that I would save her because a man always looks to protect his wife. Plus, we could procreate and produce more kids rather than having a kid without one parent.
When I asked other men and women about this, I discovered that most of the women sided with Polly and most of the men sided with me, with some exceptions. Therefore I posited that decisions to this question would be based on gender.
However, upon posting the original blog post, I got the mixed responses. I have listed some of the responses below:
Guy - "If it was me, it would be very tough, VERY tough. But in the end I think I would pick my wife."
Girl - "This is a very hard question to answer. I know from experience that true love is the worst thing to lose, but the thought of losing a child seems unbearable. I think in the end that I would save my child and in a way a piece of my husband would always live in them."
Guy - "definitely save the wifey"
Girl - "Hmmm. That's a tough one. My mom taught me that your husband comes before any other person in your life, even your children. So although I'm not an expert in the area of having husbands or babies, as of right now I'd go with the husband. If I chose to save the baby, then I'd have no one to console and support the loss of my husband. If I chose to save the husband, I can make more babies, and have the emotional support to cope with the loss of the baby. I'm with you Mike."
Girl - "You can always have more kids, but you can never replace a spouse. "
Guy - "I would save the child. You can always find another wife. Just joking. I would save the kid. Give him a chance at life. "
There were more responses than these (some good ones) and you can check them out here.
Basically though, I got different responses from two married women with kids, different responses from a few different single guys, and different responses from a few different single girls.
I understand that it's only hypothetical, but it's an intriguing topic to me. I would love to hear from more people on this so I can get a better sense as to why different people (even in similar situations) respond differently.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
I know that the husband comes first but this is a no brainer to me. Children should always be saved before adults. We have an obligation to protect our children. Considering my current situation, I feel very strongly about this.
I can also say this, as the friend of a woman who lost her son at the early age of 11, it is very hard to live and even get out of bed everyday when your child dies. Especially for a mother because of that nurturing instinct we have. Children cannot be replaced and having more will not fill that hole in your heart.
Since she is a perfect child who does not drink or behave inappropriately with boys, I would definately have to same my firstborn.
All kidding aside, as much as i love my husband,I would have to save my kids.
I don't disagree Leah that you cannot replace a child, but knowing someone who recently lost a spouse, the same can be said there. You cannot replace a spouse either.
Either one would be devastating and I don't wish this decision on anyone, but I'm interested in what we think we'd do.
It may well be that in the situation I'd save the kid, but as of now, I say my wife. I hope my wife feels the same as you two and picks the kid, however.
Having almost died after giving birth, I change my answer.
Originally I believed we should save the child, and the husband disagreed. Now that I've had my taste of parenthood I think it's better for a child to have two parents. Thankfully both the son and I survived and hopefully my life won't be threatened next time.
Oh, I did want to say that I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer for this situation. It's a tough one and we'd all handle the result differently.
I agree with you there Julie. When it comes down to it, we would have to do what we felt was best at that particular time. And for different people, that may be a different result. Not wrong, just different.
This is a scenario that probably none of us are ever gong to have to face, ever in our lifetimes.
But if I did, I'd save the kid, and I hope my husband would do the same. He's our baby. Even though my husband is my first priority and vice versa, we decided together to bring a child into the world, and our son needs us to protect him. We are his parents, and it is our JOB and our God given responsibility to protect him, because he cannot protect himself.
For the record though, this is an scenario that will likely never happen, and discussing it may spark more controversy in families than it is worth. Just my two cents. =)
And furthermore, this isn't a decision that should be based on "what would be more painful? To lose a spouse or a child?" or "Well you can always have more kids." It's selfish to base it on what would be more painful to you personally (losing either my husband or my son would kill me), and it's not right to base it on the fact that you can have more kids. Those are potential children, they are not alive yet. The one that you have in your care now IS alive and is your responsibility to protect to the best of your ability. =)
True enough, but I would also argue that God has given me the responsibility of protecting my wife.
It most likely isn't going to happen and I hope nobody has to actually make the decision. You're going to feel awful either way, but still intrigues me that people answer it so differently.
If I asked my mom or my dad that, they would absolutly say me. But that's because I'm a kid. Being a kid is hrd work because adults try to make you feel good in areas like this, but I have no clue is they're telling me the truth!
I know your parents Cassidy and they would both definitely save you and your sister. They love you so much. You're blessed to have such good parents.
Post a Comment